I just looked up Fiedler in Wiki, and while born in Boston, his parents
moved to Europe (Vienna and Berlin) and he studied violin with Willy Hess
at the Berlin Hochschule.  I didn't see mention of the Johann Strauss III's
orchestra, but that is possible.  I might be wrong about his playing the
viola.  Monteux was a violist, and both Reiner and Mitropoulos were
pianists.  We have a recording of Mitropoulos performing and conducting a
Prokofiev concerto.

Best,
John Haley