I do not doubt the studies, but I think Fiedler was primarily a double bass player before he started conducting. Source: (a) conversations with musicians in Boston, ca. 1965; (2) statement by Fiedler in a conversation between him and Leroy Anderson,

http://www.pbs.org/sleighride/Biography/Evening_at_Pops.htm

-Lofty