-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Randy A. Riddle
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 12:05 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Advice on otr discography

I agree this would be a useful project, but it's a different animal than the
lp discography I'm working on.

Really, this would be a survey of archival holdings of original and dub
transcription discs and tapes, as well as tapes from collectors that have
found their way into archives and libraries.

Back during the hey-dey of OTR nostalgia, there were thousands of tapes that
were shared among collectors and many that were commercially released by big
outfits like Goldin's Radio Yesteryear or Radio Reruns and collectors that
would dupe and sell a limited number of copies and sell them through mail
order or other venues.

The lp discography would be useful for libraries, collectors and researchers
since the lps were more widely distributed in many copies - most aren't
uncommon.

I put some thought into a larger database of OTR.  The basic idea I came up
with was a database based on individual programs that would list a full
description, keywords, casts and where the shows are held or are available
online and some notes about the specific holdings on the original discs or
tapes and the sound quality if known.

I really think this would be a good candidate for an inter-institutional
effort done with some type of seed money from a grant or big money donation.
I did some "back of the envelope" calculations and figured you could
catalogue all of the OTR shows circulating among collectors in a couple of
years with about $1 million to cover the costs of full-time cataloguers that
would listen to the programs and enter the information.
 There are many more programs that are on discs in archives that have never
been transferred to tape or digital.

Randy

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 9:26 AM, Tom Fine
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Hi David:
>
> I agree with your point, that there is other captured (recorded)
> material that was never commercially reissued. It would also be good
> to document just what are the sources for the commercial reissues (for
> instance, some of the transcriptions sold by David Goldin and later by
> the company to which he sold some or all of his material) seem to be
> copy transcriptions (ie disk-to-disk dubs).
>
> To my thinking, a practical way to document this would be, instead of
> traditional discography, do it as program listings followed by
> known-extant recordings, known-once-extant recordings and commercial
> reissues including their sources. I don't know if this data can ever
> be collected this long after the fact, but it would show a "family
> tree" for each distinct broadcast.
>
> If someone ever works on this, you should contact Art Shifrin and
> spend as long as it takes to pick his brain. Art knows a lot about how
> radio programs were transcribed and has some first-generation
> documentation of practices at some networks and with some shows. It's
> also worth looking into Columbia University's archives because I think
> Erik Barnouw left his papers to Columbia. My point is, there has been
> some research and documentation done, so no need to completely
> reinvent the wheel. There also is a large collection of recordings if
> not documentation in Tennessee that I have mentioned before. It is
> probably worthwhile finding out more about the donor and seeing if he
> left papers along with the hundreds of reel tapes.
>
> If one were to get into this, expect to step in with both boots,
> expect to take years, and don't expect to make a fortune from your
> work. I expect you'll end up with a Rupli-sized series of books, if
> printed books are even appropriate for this (it might be better to
> just put it all in an online database at this stage of technology).
> There were thousands of hours of broadcasts preserved (recorded), many
> episodic shows and also many local broadcasts and one-time events. So much
material to document and trace!

> -- Tom Fine
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "David Lewis" <[log in to unmask]>

Policy"