____________________________________
 From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 5/7/2014  2:50:56 P.M. Central Daylight Time
Subj: Re: [ARSCLIST] Stokowski and  percussion instruments

There is an off-the-air recording of Beecham conducting Bruckner's  Seventh
Symphony with the Royal Philharmonic after World War II. Unfortunately
it's incomplete. But much of the symphony is there and the performance is
magnificent.

  Beecham conducted a Mahler symphony -- number Four, I think -- in  one of
his first London concerts. Around 1907. But Mahler's music apparently
didn't appeal to him.

  Beecham did have formal training in music, especially at the  school to
which he was sent, Rossall. In his biography of Beecham, Alan  Jefferson
wrote that the young Beecham astonished the school's music master,  Dr.
Sweeting, with his ability to play any Beethoven piano sonata at  sight.

  In the opera house Beecham conducted works by a wide range of  composers.
He was an enthusiastic champion of the music of Richard Strauss,  and his
performances of Elektra were particularly famous.

  Don Tait

In a message dated 5/6/2014 9:25:07 P.M. Central Daylight Time,