I feel for all you folks who are suffering through this Yahoo problem. I
don't think any email system is 100% free of issues 100% of the time,
but for the last eight years, I've had wonderful luck with hostgator.com
hosting my web and email (I have about 20 email accounts there and about
six domain names) all hosted for $9.95 per month. Each domain name costs
approximately $15 per year to register -- I use Hover and Network
Solutions (though I think they have a new name). GoDaddy is very
popular, however I have no experience with them.

With this type of arrangement one has many more options, but, of course,
there is more administrative effort and some setup. I think that there
is a $5 per month (or less) service available at Hostgator that might
fit the more casual user.

I also have backup email with Gmail and use it for some things, and
another hosting account at 1and1.com (that is merely OK) that also has a
backup email address--three separate email pathways to get to me. Gmail
has been trouble free for over a decade, and the 1and1 account has been
OK, but has had more outages than I liked for my primary service, hence
my move about eight years ago to Hostgator.

To be clear, I switched to Hostgator about eight years ago, though I've
had the richardhess.com domain since 1998. Even back then, I was tired
of having my web URL and email address change when my ISP or other
hosting provider changed.

Some of the easy-to-do things with a full-blown hosting account (I do
recommend CPanel controlled accounts) is set up a mail forwarder so
that, for example, when the boys were both in the youth orchestra at our
church, I set up an email forwarder [log in to unmask] that went to
both boys, my wife, and me, so we'd all be on top of the schedule demands.

Cheers,

Richard