-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Erik Dix
Sent: 15 May 2014 15:03
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Looking for some University of Notre Dame related 78rpm
recordings.

Hello all!

I have a researcher who is looking for these recordings that involve
University of  Notre Dame Glee Club or Marching Band members. We don't
have any of these in our archives. Any help or hints are greatly
appreciated.

"Columbia: 33343-F (matrix W147521, matrix W147522). 'Irish' marches
with vocal refrain: University of Notre Dame fight songs."11/20/1928 78
rpm phonograph record. Columbia Phonograph Co., #1821-D in the
Viva-Tonal series. /The Victory March /and /Down the Line/, instrumental
by University of Notre Dame Orchestra with vocal refrain.

The Notre Dame Glee Club recorded two songs on April 9 1926 for *Victor
Talking Sound Co.: BVE-35299, Gounod's /Laudate Patrem/, and BVE-35300,
Vittoria's/Ave Maria./*//Victor's ledger notes say there were 11 first
tenors, 10 second tenors, 10 baritones and 8 basses made the recording,
with Jack Butler '28 performing the solo on /Ave Maria/. Victor's ledger
notes, which show that Victor never released the record, can be found
online at http://victor.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/matrix/detail/.The
recording took three hours in the Victor studio in New York City.The
previous night their Park Lane Hotel concert had been broadcast live
over WNYC radio./Alumnus /magazine/, /1926, p. 212.
/
Notre Dame Scholastic/magazine, vol. 66, issue 11, p. 10 (*Dec. 16,
1932*) reported that theGlee Club recorded *"Irish Backs" and "Notre
Dame Our Mother" for Sound Television Company*, and the recordings could
be heard and purchased in the Main Building on campus.

__

*1948-49.*10" disk, 78rpm.*Capitol Records #764./Victory March; Notre
Dame We Hail Th/*/ee./This earliest of the Pedtke-era commercial
recordings, is listed in a Capitol Records discography as Capitol #764,
probably recorded in early 1949: /see
/http://www.78discography.com/Capitol500.htm

Thank you!

Erik Dix