Sirius XM is an abomination, in my view, especially the Met Opera Channel,
which destroys the sound quality of its broadcasts with very intense
over-compression, robbing voices of their natural vitality and gutting out
the emotional content of the a lot of the music.  Soft notes emerge with
the same intensity as loud ones, and a solo bassoon on minute is the same
loudness as a whole orchestra and chorus in full cry the next.  Not to
mention the outrageous noise-pumping that the monstrous compression causes.
 The other two classical XM channels are no better, and there we get
annoying, ignorant announcers to boot.  The digital radio medium is a great
one, but in practice it has been dumbed down to provide the worst sounding
radio broadcasts of the last several decades.  Yet another case of
successful operation, dead patient.

Best,
John Haley