Hi Henry,

You can use a tool like Spectrafoo to verify this. There is an example of it's bit meter in the upper right corner of the picture here:

http://mhsecure.com/metric_halo/products/software/spectrafoo.html

There are no doubt other analyzers with such a display but that is the one we use here.

David Ackerman
Head of Media Preservation
Harvard Library
8 Story Street