Growing up in the suburbs of NYC I was raised on WQXR, WNYC, WNCN, WKCR, WBAI, WRVR, etc. They all broadcast classical music. WNYC offered a festival of American Music. I could hear (and record) broadcasts of the orchestras in Cleveland, New York, Chicago, Boston, Oklahoma City, Cincinnati, etc. They would broadcast modern music and offer informed programs likes Music from Germany, a  program of music by Latin American composers…my friend Paul Snook who was, for a time, program director of WRVR had programs devoted to recordings from Italian Radio, a series devoted to music of contemporary Czech composers, etc. I still have Paul's interviews with composers like Schuman, Arnell, DelloJoio, Read, etc. My friend Walter Simmons had a program devoted to the "Late Romantics." He would broadcast concert recordings of the music of composers like Paul Creston.

In my own way, produced over 500 programs devoted to music written since 1900…I devoted 52 programs to music and interviews of Copland, for his 100th birthday.

Then I reflect on the fact that the major radio networks offered quite a bit of classical music back in the day. Can you imagine a broadcast of classical music on CBS, NBC or ABC these days. Even PBS, when it was educational, would offer things like an entire broadcast devoted to the performance of the Ives 4th Symphony…a series on music of the 20s offered by Copland.

Never again will we hear such things on any internet or broadcast station.

Karl