If you're playing quarter track tapes, you have no choice but to use a quarter track machine, (I assume, perhaps erroneously, that by "4 track" you mean "quarter track").  A half track machine will play both sides of the tape at the same time - one program going backwards.  If you're playing half track stereo tapes, you should be using a half track machine.  A quarter track machine will play these tapes with an imbalance between channels.  So the short answer is your machine should match your tapes.

db