From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tom Fine
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 05:13 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Spam Free Archives

With Archive.org, you get what you pay for. I'd say you get a little bonus with that group because they appear to be relatively well-funded and well-connected, so they are not likely to just disappear one day.

Chris Brady, if you want something exactly to your specification, beggars can't be choosers. You'll need to fund your own archive.

I have uploaded stuff to Archive.org and don't like their uploading system, and I really don't like that they don't have professional oversight of the metadata, it's just a user-entered "groupsource"
cluster-you-know-what. This makes searching unreliable and descriptions sometimes useless. I always get the sense that there's a goldmine of stuff I'm interested in buried in Archive.org but I'll never have the patience to find it because it's mis-filed, mis-described or uploaded incorrectly.
But it's free and there's a ton of interesting information up there, sprinkled with plenty of junk and porn. Like the rest of the interwebs.

-- Tom Fine