" I wish I could recall the name of that came
> from one of the public radio networks and, each week, featured vintage jazz
> and big band recordings - I recall one whole episode was just devoted to
> V-Discs"

I'm guessing this might be the show:

http://annarborchronicle.com/2008/11/09/a-golden-age-of-jazz-revisited/

A Golden Age of Jazz Revisited
BY HAZEN SCHUMACHER
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5MZ4XD_AIc

Used to listen 'until I went out and bought the records that I liked.'

Gene

 Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Public radio was Re: Future of CDs
 To: [log in to unmask]
 Date: Sunday, May 25, 2014, 12:15 AM

 I also like the ability
 to change genre of music with SiriusXM. The OTR
 station definitely isn't particularly
 enlightened, but given good fortune
 in the
 luck of the programming draw, it can sure help a long car
 trip be
 more enjoyable.  I force my wife to
 negotiate with them every year to get a
 better rate.  She out did herself this
 year-the full version for both of
 our cars
 for $100 a year each. I used to give more than that to the
 local
 FM Classical NPR station.  I went
 over and manned a phone during pledge
 time.  Now it seems like almost every week
 they take away the music so they
 can have a
 fund raising event.  No doubt they are doing a Memorial Day
 fund
 raiser.  They do Mother's Day and
 Valentine's Day and Christmas and
 Thanksgiving, and God knows what else.  The
 scripted repetitive nonsense
 they broadcast
 during these events makes one assume they think we are
 all
 morons.  If you added up all the
 regular full Monty fund drives, the
 special
 event fund drives and the 10 second commercials, there is
 far more
 down time, with little or no music,
 than any of the commercial stations.
 Both of
 the local NPR stations make you listen to 20 seconds of
 commercial
 every time you tune in the
 streaming version.   I often wondered if the
 FM
 stations couldn't let me pay an
 annual fee, and then allow me to listen
 without the fundraising drivel.  Maybe
 something that accesses the extra
 band
 width, like their service for the visually impaired.  I
 have also
 wished that they would spend less
 money on their syndicated programming,
 and
 just play classical music, maybe from their own library,
 like they used
 to. Interesting to note that
 Robert Aubry Davis, one of the XM Sirius
 Symphony Hall announcers, used to be at our
 local station in upstate New
 York. I am very
 pessimistic about the future of classical FM in my area,
 and I guess I wouldn't miss them much.
 Too bad.

 On
 Sat, May 24, 2014 at 11:13 PM, Randy A. Riddle <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

 > I listened to public
 radio for many years.  I think what happened was that
 > it lost track of its original vision to
 educate.

 > The
 public radio stations in my area are basically running many
 of the same
 > talk or music series that
 have been around since the 1980s.  There doesn't
 > seem to be anything there I've not
 heard before or seen around the

 Internet.

 > For me,
 public radio was at its best in the 1970s when it acted as a
 kind
 > of curator for the best or most
 interesting in what was happening in

 serious music or the arts.  It was the place you would turn
 to to hear new
 > classical works or new
 recordings of classical music, experiments in radio
 > drama, or what was happening in music
 scholarship.

 good example is a weekly show I wish I could recall the name
 of that came
 > from one of the public
 radio networks and, each week, featured vintage jazz
 > and big band recordings - I recall one
 whole episode was just devoted to

 V-Discs.

 > At other
 times, my local public radio stations featured regular
 broadcasts
 > of classic Old Time Radio -
 Suspense, the Great Gildersleeve, Jack Benny
 > and other programs.
 >
 > Sure, much of this
 material is available now on the Internet or satellite
 > radio stations.  Public radio could find
 its voice again by being a curator
 > and
 gateway into what's worth my time, rather than being
 either background
 > classical Muzak for a
 day at the office or offering the "comfort food"
 of
 > "Prairie Home
 Companion".  It's just stale.

 > I like Sirius XM
 because it allows me to sample genres of music that I
 > don't know much about or listen deeper
 into a genre catalogue to figure out

 what I might like or not like - the same thing that public
 and college
 > radio used to do for me
 many years ago.

 The OTR channel is a little conservative for my taste,
 repeating many of
 > the same "war
 horses" that I've heard many times before, but at
 least it's

 --

 Frank B Strauss, DMD