Lou --

I posted the set on my blog - scroll to the bottom of the post and you can
listen or download the show.

http://randsesotericotr.podbean.com/e/war-of-the-worlds-an-update-on-the-paul-stewart-lacquer-set/

One of the missing bits is near the "blackened hand" section you mentioned.

There's two bits of Welles dialogue missing from the common Mannheim Fox
version, as well as one intriguing section - after the announcer reads
bulletins, in all the other versions, he says "One moment please ladies and
gentlemen … We take you to …".  In my version, after he says "One moment
please ladies and gentlemen", he goes "off mic" and says something to
another actor before going back to the on-mic dialogue.

It sounds minor, but is an interesting example of how the Mercury were
trying to make the show sound like a breaking news event with a bit of
confusion in the studio.

When I got the disc, I didn't realize it was a "live" lacquer master and
thought it was probably a dub - I played it once, transferring it to
digital.  The mp3 has the parts edited together, an NAB curve applied, and
a very light once-over with scratch/pop removal software.  It's not a full
restoration, but was a way for me to get the show in a format where I could
get comments on the lacquer set as I did some research on it.

rand