That is determined by the person who sends the package. The default for home delivery for both UPS and FedEx is to leave it at the door step. In that case both claim no responsibility if the package is subsequently stolen or misplaced. The sender can, at his discretion (and for an extra fee) demand a signature either by somebody, or a family member, or by the addressee specifically. In those cases, the package must be signed for.

DrG