On 5/30/14, 5:05 PM, "Matthew Sohn" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I avoid FedEx and only use UPS when I have to. All large shippers have
>their problems..

Agreed that all large shippers have their issues.  See my response to
�FedEx vs UPS vs USPS� and my claim against UPS.  To be fair, a claim
against FedEx may be just as difficult.  My issue with UPS is with the
potential theft that can take place at their transfer facilities.  In
general, I�ve found FedEx to be faster and more cost-effective than UPS
for my media shipments.

>Another option for larger delicate items is to strap it on a pallet and
>consign it to a trucking company. At any rate, protective packaging is
>key. When I bought my SP-15 Turntable with extra-large plinth, The seller
>got a carpenter friend to build him a plywood box to his dimensions. Just
>imagine the worst thing that could happen to the box, and do what you can
>to mitigate it.

Matt, great points.  Such plywood crates don�t cost as much as you might
think.  Often moving companies can build these crates for you - they build
them all the time.  That�s what we do.  Most of our crates are under $50 -
the most expensive thing we ever had crated was $150 (100 lbs, 24 x 18 x
84).  Prices may vary, of course, since this is a custom service.  Well
worth it for anything valuable or fragile.

~ Eric