. As for "except for Bruno Walter" there wasn't much interest in  Mahler
before World War II, Willem Mengelberg programmed and conducted Mahler  almost
incessantly before the Nazis forbade him to do so, including with the New
York Philharmonic between 1922/3 and 1930 and his 1920 Mahler Festival in
Amsterdam; Frederick Stock conducted Mahler symphonies with the Chicago
Symphony  as early as the 1906/7 season (Symphony no. 5) and 1930/1 and 1931/2
(Symphony  no. 7); and so on.

  Don Tait

In a message dated 5/8/2014 10:03:29 A.M. Central Daylight Time,