I've had none of the problems yahoo users are experiencing, by using Google, and google is still free, unless you consider that giving up a certain amount of  privacy is a form of payment (which, if that were to annoy you as well, you may need to look for a provider that charges a monetary fee, like the one suggested).

Tim (a lurker)