I am looking for audio archives with significant oral histories, oral texts, or wordlist, holdings. I am particularly looking for non-english language holdings, and dark archives (where listings are not complete or listings are not available online). Two summers ago I presented a paper on language documentation and I was discussing the fragile nature of audio language artifacts. Several people told me that there were places in Europe and Russia with significant recordings either on wax cylinders or other non-digital mediums but I fail find these institutions via google searches (partially because I don't remember the names).

Any ideas as to which museums or archives might have these sorts of recordings?

- Hugh Paterson III