I think the original poster's email also raises some questions about what a
library catalog is for. To my mind, it's meant to be an inventory of what a
particular library holds. The holding is the crucial element, and the
extensive bibliographic data serves a discovery purpose. I think the web
enables libraries to let go of the discovery aspect: users find out if they
want to read a particular book (article, DVD, manuscript, whatever) from
sources other than the catalog, and the catalog exists to tell them if
their library has it. What I think linked data can enable for libraries is
to move away from extensive description of our resources (once that has
been done by someone else, perhaps in a centralized linked data store, ahem
LoC/OCLC), and to focus on linking our holding, our unique copy, to other
discovery sources and other descriptions of the resources. I think it can
enable an even more efficient version of copy cataloging.

Because let's be honest: If I'm looking for information, I'm going to look
on the web, not on the library website. And once I've found the thing I
want to read, all I need to know is how I can get it. I imagine that using
linked data to link our holdings to other representations of a work on the
open web could get the information users really care about--whether we have
the thing they want--into the search engine representation of the thing.

I also think this would enable us to spend more of our resources describing
and providing access to our unique collections, which is another whole ball
of wax, with different uses for and types of linked data creation.

Laura Krier

[image: Laura Krier on about.me]

Laura Krier
about.me/laurakrier