I think there are multiple questions here, all very interesting.  The
first is simply how to change the platform on which libraries do their
business from one based in MARC to one based in linked data.  There are
a couple of very interesting projects going on now to try and help
develop this new flow for libraries:

1.) BIBFLOW (http://www.lib.ucdavis.edu/bibflow/): a two year project
from UC Davis "investigating the future of library technical services,
i.e., cataloging and related workflows, in light of modern technology
infrastructure such as the Web and new data models and formats such as
Resource Description and Access (RDA) and BIBFRAME, the new encoding and
exchange format in development by the Library of Congress. Our
hypothesis is that, while these new standards and technologies are
sorely needed to help the library community leverage the benefits and
efficiencies that the Web has afforded other industries, we cannot adopt
them in an environment constrained by complex workflows and
interdependencies on a large ecosystem of data, software and service
providers that are change resistant and motivated to continue with the
current library standards (e.g. Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules (or
AACR) and MARC. Research is required on how research libraries should
adapt our practices, workflows, software systems and partnerships to
support our evolution to new standards and technologies"

2.) Linked Data for Libraries (https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/ld4l):
a project between Cornell, Harvard and Stanford to " create a Scholarly
Resource Semantic Information Store (SRSIS) model that works both within
individual institutions and through a coordinated, extensible network of
Linked Open Data <http://linkeddata.org/> to capture the intellectual
value that librarians and other domain experts and scholars add to
information resources when they describe, annotate, organize, select,
and use those resources, together with the social value evident from
patterns of usage."

The second question will be once we have moved our processing to linked
data and make our information routinely available, how will our data
compare/integrate with other data on the Semantic Web. To me, we have
two obligations.  The first is to be able to answer the needs of our
patrons as articulated through legitimate use-case studies.  Our model
must be articulate enough for them to derive these answers.  The second
is to work with a model based in RDF so that it can be integrated with
other web resources.  The strength of the web is that it can support
multiple models (schema.org, BIBFRAME, etc.) to support different users'
needs and yet have them all be able to integrate with each other at some
level.  Those that need more complex data can interpret what libraries
have done through well articulated models and vocabularies, those that
want to use it in a much more simplistic way can automatically map it to
a more simplistic model.

To me, the third question is the most interesting.  We need to stop
thinking in terms of only bringing metadata about traditional library
resources to the web.  This has been done for a while. But now, how can
we think about using linked data as a platform to bring the entire
academic discourse, not just its resources, to the web?  Research
institutions have so much more to offer than simply the items in their
catalogs.  By bringing this discussion to the web, we both greatly
enhance the abilities of our institutions to do their work but also
enrich the web with data at the cutting edge of many disciplines that
has been unavailable until now.

Philip

--
Philip E. Schreur