Stephen

The same questions arise for fictitious characters. I wouldn’t record most of these for a spirit.

370 and/or 371 might be appropriate in the case of a ghost that haunts a particular place. See for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Lady_of_Raynham_Hall

I think the other attributes are all fairly dubious, unless the work goes out of its way to state them. We shouldn’t be using the attributes of the person when they were alive.

The important and useful thing is to record in 368 that the entity is a spirit: “Spirits”, if using LCSH. I wonder whether “Ghosts” might also be appropriate in some cases. A spirit is also a ghost when it appears to people, rather than just communicating via a medium.

It helps the user that the access point is always qualified by “Spirit”, to make it clear that this is not a real, living human author. This is an exact parallel to fictitious characters and non-human entities, which in my view should also, always be qualified (rather than optionally). I think it’s important for identification in all these cases.

Regards
Richard
Richard Moore
Authority Control Team Manager