From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ian Fairclough
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 10:25 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PCCLIST] two FAQs on undifferentiated name authority records

PCCLIST readers,

This page
http://www.loc.gov/aba/pcc/naco/personnamefaq.html#20

has two FAQs which I think are no longer applicable:
20.  Is it true that undifferentiated name authority records are only created for personal names?  (Answer: "Yes. ..."  But I think it should now be "Not any more".)
21. Where can I find instructions on creating an undifferentiated personal name authority record? (Answer: "An undifferentiated personal name is called for by AACR 22.20 and by LCRI 22.17-22.20 (RDA 9.19.1.1) as a last resort after all the possible additions to a new personal or to an existing personal name to break a conflict have been exhausted....")

What I was actually looking for on this FAQ page were instructions for handling NARs for which only one identity remains.  Actually, this page was the first one retrieved with a Google search "naco undifferentiated".  The second one is what I wanted:

http://www.loc.gov/aba/pcc/rda/PCC%20RDA%20guidelines/Z01%20008%2032%202014rfeb.pdf

Perhaps the FAQ page can be updated.

Sincerely - Ian

Ian Fairclough