At 06:26 AM 6/3/2014, Randy A. Riddle wrote:
>Here's a sample that includes some "warbles".  It's a 14 mb .wav file that
>was ripped directly from the cd "Pop Singers on the Air!".

Looks like bad tape editing.  For example, when the announcer says "Here's
the kind you'll hear", part of the "d" at the end of "kind" has been
chopped off, and there's an obvious glitch where the waveform doesn't match
across the splice.  The glitch occurs about 2 milliseconds earlier on the
right channel, which is about right for stereo playback of a shallow
diagonal splice at 15 ips.  The waveform corruption seems worse on right
than left.  Of course, we can't tell from the transfer whether the tape was
recorded full track or stereo -- but recording mono material on a stereo
tape to do click editing would have been a stupid idea.

Summing the channels helps a little.  If I was going to try fixing this
problem, I think I'd just use the left channel, because that minimizes the
duration of the glitch.

-- John Chester