I'm interested in the experts' opinions on cleaning.  I myself use a
Nitty-Gritty machine that, for its price, is a wonderful tool.  (I use
their "Pure 1" solution, not saliva.)

We should be careful when criticizing a cleaning method based on
"knowing" that it's a bad idea unless that knowledge includes trying it
the way the other guy does it.

In 1975 razors with multiple blades  were the subject of some ridicule,
including a skit on Saturday Night Live carrying the concept to an
extreme of THREE blades <http://www.themarysue.com/fake-snl-products/>.
I've been using 4- and 5-blade systems for many years now, and my
experience is that they provide a superbly close and comfortable shave.
YMMV.

In 1990, Marilyn vos Savant, widely believed to have the highest IQ ever
tested, answered a question in her weekly column in Parade magazine.
The question isn't important, but it's usually called the Monty Hall
problem <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem>.  The correct
answer, which she provided, is rather surprising and non-intuitive.
Many mathematicians said publicly that she was wrong, and some implied
that women were incapable of understanding the math or logic behind the
answer.  A simple rather mechanical procedure would have shown them that
she was, in fact, correct.  The experts reacted rashly, to their
professional embarrassment.

As a final example, a few years ago I suffered from great pain in my
right knee due to gout, a build-up of uric acid in the joint that all
but stopped me from walking.  For me, the prescription medications
available were not useful or interfered with other medical conditions.
I went to the www, where I read about the really-stupid-new-age-healing
crystal solution of drinking a dilute form of a specific kind of apple
cider vinegar.  "Can't hurt, might help" is what my M.D. wife said.  Did
I, with a PhD in Computer Science, think it was a load of mystical
crap?  You bet.  Placebo? Maybe.  Did it work?  Yes.  Pain was gone
within 12 hours, and I have used that stupid process several times since
with similar results.

My point is that sometimes something that defies logic and science and
tradition (at least at first glance) turns out to work, at least for
some people.  If someone finds that spitting on their records gets them
good results, shake your head in disbelief, but if you ain't tried it,
don't knock it.

(... and on the other hand, if you HAVE tried it, I think we'd all enjoy
hearing about the process and the results.)
--
*Pete Tinker*
West Hills, CA 91307