You and Randy are right, the topic has changed.

And Richard, you've reminded me of Brian Eno's use of a typewriter in "China My China," in his album, Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy).  It starts around 1:45:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4sKHw_IX_g

Susan

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Richard Markowitz
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2014 3:52 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Extramusical Sounds in Music (was Phonobombs)

The great light music composer Leroy Anderson wrote many orchestral miniatures which incorporate extra-musical sounds, most notably *The Typewriter*, *The Syncopated Clock* and *Sleigh Ride* (which imitates the clip-clop of the horses hooves, sleigh bells, and the neighing of the horse in the final measures).  Others include *The Waltzing Cat*, *The Sandpaper
Ballet* (using three different grades of sandpaper, coarse, medium and fine, to imitate the soft shoe dance), and *Horse and Buggy*.

A more obscure team of light music composers, the brothers Kermit and Walter Leslie, (born Kermit and Walter Levinsky) wrote pieces in a similar vein, including* Jalopy* (in which the sound of an antique car is heard) and *Gilbert the Goose* (which showcases the subject's honking).  These were issued on a collection titled *"Middlebrow" Music for the Hi-fi Fan* (10" Epic LG 1019, 1956), re-issued in expanded form as *A Holiday in
Hi-fi* (LN
3452, 1958).

The sound of cascading water is heard in Melachrino's *Waltz in
Water-colours* (on *Music to Work or Study By*: RCA LPM 1029, 1954)

If I remember correctly, the sound of a whip is heard in Ernst Toch's *Circus Overture*.

Aside from musical works, the sound of birds can be heard for a few seconds, before the opening line of dialogue on Decca's recording of Christopher Fry's play *The Lady's Not for Burning* (DX 110, 1951.)  This moment always caught the attention of my feline Siamese companion, many years ago.  It was one of her favorite recordings.

Richard Markowitz