In celebration of Black Music Month we're offering a great mix of genres for your summer listening pleasure.  Starting with jazz, there's AfroPhysicist from young trumpeter Theo Croker, the retro jazz/rhythm and blues exploration Bring It Back from vocalist Catherine Russell, Testimony from veteran saxophonist Scott Mayo, Postmodern Spirituals: The Promised Land from soul-gospel-jazz saxophonist Tyrone Birkett, Amplified Soul from Britain's Incognito, and the ultimate party album Move Your Body from New Orleans' Rebirth Brass Band.

Under folk and traditional music, there's violinist Regina Carter's Southern Comfort and the new Arhoolie compilation Papa Lemon Nash: 1959-61 Oyster & Allen Recordings featuring field recordings and oral histories from Tulane's Hogan Jazz Archive.

New R&B albums include Candi Staton's Life Happens and I'm Tryin' by the Memphis soul band DeRobert & The Half Truths.

World music titles include the fascinating DVD Punk in Africa, Sila's SuperAfrican which has a comic book tie-in, Canadian group Eccodek's Singing in Tongues, a reissue of Ranking Dread's 1970s roots reggae album Girl Fiesta, and the two-CD release Disco E Progresso from Brazilian urban new wave group Da Cruz.

Last but not least is our summary of May Releases of Note, listing over 100 new albums not previously featured in Black Grooves.

Brenda Nelson-Strauss
Editor, Black Grooves
Archives of African American Music & Culture
Indiana University
2805 E. 10th Street, Suite 180
Bloomington, IN 47408
www.blackgrooves.org