100% agree that descriptive metadata is a key part of the linked/semantic
data ecosystem.

Sharing  assertions about the value of some attribute of the described
entity, and forming beliefs the correct value is one of the most useful
ways to improve the quality of such descriptions.

Another potential boon to descriptive metadata can be achieved through
"default" inheritance of certain attributes of "more abstract" FRBR-ish
entities by "less abstract" ones- for example,  the title of an expression
might by default be the same as the title of the work it expresses.

The "subjects" of the second edition of a work might likewise by default be
likewise derived those of a prior edition. (There are plausible arguments
against considering non works as having subjects; thus this might be
considered to be default inheritance of a property between two works).

I should note that basic RDF(S) and OWL semantics don't provide for default
inheritance, though there are non monotonic extensions.

[I should note that Allen Renear has strong opinions on inheritance in FRBR
- see e.g. http://eprints.rclis.org/8622/ ; I believe his objections in
that paper were primarily based on the incoherence of treating the
relationships between FRBR group 1 entities as monotonic subclassing,
though I think he may have addressed related issues in later work]

Named identities records currently serve a slightly different object[ive]
to controlled subjects; subject headings provide more terms for the search
to bite on, as well as serving to group items together; if 4XX (not
serials) terms were also indexed then both would provide a lesser boost to
recall.

Also, subdivided subject headings may or may not appear in authorized forms
(only subdivided headings occurring more than a certain number of times in
the LC catalog are added to the "file".
Also,  the only available study on user understanding of subject headings
indicated a ~50% accuracy level on a paraphrase task for technical service
respondents- the study has methodological issues, so the results may not
generalize to generation )

Simon