On 6/25/14, 1:12 PM, Benjamin A Abrahamse wrote:

> I would love to see a future where the network over which catalogers
> share information is more of a true network. Instead of going to
> large, shared databases like OCLC to search for records, we could use
> identifying information like ISBN, author-title-publication, etc., to
> go out and find the metadata that is most current and relevant to our
> libraries' particular needs, wherever it happens to be, and collect
> that. I could see libraries of various sorts having individualized
> profiles for the type of metadata they need, or even being able to set
> and rank which sources of metadata they consider trustworthy and
> useful (for example: accept PCC metadata, but if that's not available,
> accept non-PCC contributed metadata, and if that's not available,
> accept publisher-supplied metadata.)

Ben --

This is an interesting vision from the cataloger perspective. If I read
you correctly, in a distributed network, for the same item there could
be "records" (profiles or graphs of data) that are suitable for public
libraries, ones that are suitable to specialized libraries, others
suitable to national libraries, or archives, etc. All of these could
pull from the same pool of data elements, just that they would be
pulling different groupings or graphs of data. In other words, there
isn't just one record, there are many profiles of data.

This fits nicely with the "profile" concept, as you mention. Perhaps we
can take that one step further and not only have profiles for libraries
and catalogers but also for library users. The simple picture of this is
that a library user selects to have the interface provide information in
a particular language (which, as Simon Spero has mentioned, is exactly
what the linked data technology supports). A user could also profile to
only retrieve items in a particular language or languages. But going
beyond the obvious, a user interested in rare books could profile to
receive detailed item information, whereas a graduate student embarking
on a doctoral study in history of technology could profile to always
follow "previous version" links for resources that have changed over time.

I'm not sure these are the best examples for user profiles, so I toss
this out there for others to improve upon.

kc

> Ultimately we could move away from the paradigm of having large
> central databases like OCLC and toward more of a peer-to-peer model,
> where libraries can share metadata in real-time across a network of
> partner organizations.
>
> Is this future a possibility or just a pipe dream? I don't really know
> but it does seem like BibFrame is currently the closest thing to a
> realistic way of achieving it.
>
> --Ben
>
> Benjamin Abrahamse
>
> Cataloging Coordinator