What's everyone using these days (at 1-7/8 ips)?

And what do you know about Type I and II BASF test tapes that I have
here in my hands that call out IEC 94 (Prague 1981) parts 1 & 2 and DIN
45 513 part 7?  I'd sure love to see those specs.  I will put in a
request with Cornell (who doesn't have them) for an interlibrary loan if
I don't scare some up here as I hope to.

I also have Nakamichi DA09001B (20 kHz), DA09002B (15kHz), DA09003B
(10kHz), and DA09005B (400Hz); STL Cat #26 Mfg 91/101 3180/120usec; and
other azimuth and speed tapes.

There is a cassette sized piece of paper separated from test tapes also
noting that tape was recorded to 1976 DIN 45 513 Teil(?) 6
standard...and so it has no high frequency boost to compensate for
playback head gap size loss that is noticeable in combination
record-playback heads.   There is also a warning on the paper about
magnetization and how to determine heads need demagnetization. Perhaps
this paper came with the STL tape noted above?

Already starting here, BTW:

http://richardhess.com/notes/2006/05/17/cassette-equalization-the-4-db-ambiguity-at-16-khz/

http://richardhess.com/notes/2010/10/08/cassette-equalization-redo/

Best wishes,
Karl

--

Karl Fitzke
Audio Engineer

607-254-1100

Our Mission:
To interpret and conserve the Earth's biological diversity through research, education, and citizen science focused on birds.