Hello everyone,

I am game to hear anything anyone cares to share regarding how dedicated
their computers are to audio and/or video workflows, i.e. how
comfortable you are doing one and/or the other on any one computer, and
why?  Do you install and run a minimum amount of software on any given
DAW (or partition) or have you had good experience installing all kinds
of applications and perhaps even running various apps at the same time?
For example, someone just asked for Microsoft Office on his audio DAW
here, something we have historically avoided.

Things I've got in mind:

1.
The value of NOT running any other app than the one in use to capture,
edit, or export (bounce), reserving all possible CPU power and I/O time
for that alone.

2.
Wisdom of not mixing audio and video apps on one computer partition,
because one may sometime require a different OS version than another, or
hardware drivers.  Other potential interference?

3.
Timing and bandwidth of Networked vs Local External Firewire drives vs
Local Internal for working storage.  Some level of RAID protection being
required regardless of the approach.

Agreeing with Chris Lacinak's paper on Interstitial Error, I believe
that no matter what we do, it is smart to assume it will occur from
time-to-time, and so it'd be great to avoid it is as much as practically
possible and be able to detect when it has occurred as soon as possible.

Please share what you will, on or off the listserve, thanks!

Best wishes,
Karl

--

Karl Fitzke
Media Engineer

607-254-1100

Our Mission:
To interpret and conserve the Earth's biological diversity through research, education, and citizen science focused on birds.