For those unfamiliar with glass discs, here are a few images of glass
discs, both unbroken, as well as a broken disc with a missing piece being
cleaned prior to transfer.

https://plus.google.com/b/113693395070497997727/photos/11369339507049799772
7/albums/5859059999440672641

As Adrian points out, damaged and broken media can be played and restored
without the need for non-contact systems like IRENE. There╣s still no
substitute for the cleaning process - that has to be done prior to
transfer with IRENE or with a stylus.

For those who are using IRENE, is it possible to scan individual broken
pieces with IRENE, and then re-assemble them digitally?  Where IRENE might
be especially helpful is when there are missing pieces, when spanning
large gaps with a stylus and linking the grooves becomes far more
difficult and labor intensive.

~ Eric

Eric Jacobs
Principal
The Audio Archive, Inc.
1325 Howard Ave, #906
Burlingame, CA 94010

tel: 408-221-2128

Disc and Tape Audio Transfer Services and Preservation Consulting