I'm hoping that the collective minds at ARSC can help me.

A client came to me with a sampling of one-of-a-kind video recordings of
a very well-known musician. He passed several years ago. In the basement
of his abandoned recording studio are unique video and audio recordings
that are in a state of bad decay and in dire need of preservation. There
are little private funds from the family to stabilize and digitize these
recordings. The recordings are at high risk and the loss of the content
would be a huge loss to the music world. I have offered my assistance in
helping to preserve the collection but we require funding for
preservation of the content.

Besides the Grammy Foundation, can someone please point me to other
preservation grants available that would apply to this type of preservation?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Kind Regards,

John Schroth

On 7/30/2014 2:47 PM, Ann Blonston wrote:
> This from the GRAMMY FOUNDATION:
>

> GRAMMY FOUNDATION� GRANT PROGRAM: 2015 LETTER OF INQUIRY ONLINE
>
> The GRAMMY Foundation� Grant Program is generously funded by The Recording Academy�. To date, the Program has awarded over $6 million to more than 300 noteworthy projects. The Grant Program provides funding annually to organizations and individuals to support efforts that advance the archiving and preservation of the recorded sound heritage of the Americas for future generations, as well as research projects related to the impact of music on the human condition. In 2008 the Grant Program expanded its categories to include planning (assistance) grants for individuals and small to mid-sized organizations to assist collections held by individuals and organizations that may not have access to the expertise needed to create a preservation plan. The planning process, which may include inventorying and stabilizing a collection, articulates the steps to be taken to ultimately archive recorded sound materials for future generations.
>
> HOW TO APPLY:
>
> A letter of inquiry is required before submission of a full application. Please read the guidelines as they change from year to year. To submit a letter of inquiry for the 2015 GRAMMY Foundation grant cycle, please visit www.grammyfoundation.org/grants. The deadline each year for submitting letters of inquiry is Oct. 1.
>

> The GRAMMY Foundation Grant Program funds the following areas:
>
> 1. Scientific Research Projects: $20,000 Maximum Award
>
> 2. Archiving And Preservation Projects:
> A. Preservation Implementation: $20,000 Maximum Award
> B. Assistance, Assessment And/Or Consultation: $5,000 Maximum Award
> For more information on the GRAMMY Foundation, please visit www.grammyfoundation.org.

---