To clarify, the tape is dragging as it comes off of the reel due to adjacent layers of the tape sticking together.  Any tips appreciated.

Bruce

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bruce Whisler
Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2014 5:21 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Removing sticky residue from tape

Hello all:

I am working with an acetate tape from 1970 that has had some previous breaks and splices.  It appears that splicing tape was not used, but possibly off-the-shelf adhesive tape was used and trimmed for width.  This has resulted in some sticky goo adhering to the adjacent layers and the tape drags on playback, even though I have redone the splice with proper splicing tape.  Can anyone advise on how to clean off the sticky residue?

Thanks,
Bruce Whisler