Our feature this month is Bear Family's reissue of Prodigal Son, the gospel album by former blues musician Rev. Robert Wilkins, originally released in 1964 on Dick Spottswood's Piedmont label (the title track was famously covered by the Rolling Stones).  Also featured is the latest gospel album by Deitrick Haddon, LXW (League of Xtraordinary Worshippers), on the Tyscot label.

World music releases include the contemporary worldbeat solo project Now by bassist/vocalist Bibi Tanga, Ricardo Lemvo & Makina Loca's latest fusion of Congolese and Cuban music La Rumba SoYo, and the compilations !Saoco!: The Bomba and Plena Explosion in Puerto Rico, Vols. 1 & 2.

Blues and R&B releases include Avery Sunshine's The Sunroom, Kindred the Family Soul's A Couple Friends, and Bobby Rush with Blinddog Smokin' on the CD+DVD set Decisions. Under urban contemporary jazz we're featuring saxophonist Jackiem Joyner's Evolve and singer/songwriter/guitarist Jonathan Butler's Living My Dream.

Other reissues and compilations include Nas's Illmatic XX (20th Anniversary Edition), Classic African American Songsters from Smithsonian Folkways, and the DVD A Celebration of Blues and Soul: The 1989 Presidential Inaugural Concert.

Wrapping up this issue is a listing of June Releases of Note.

Brenda Nelson-Strauss
Editor, Black Grooves
Archives of African American Music & Culture
Indiana University
2805 E. 10th Street, Suite 180
Bloomington, IN 47408
www.blackgrooves.org