Yes, alphabetical order for its own sake is not particularly helpful, but
it can be useful as an information retrieval mechanism. For example, if you
try to do a lookup for "London (England)" in the current version of the
BIBFRAME Editor, you may be disappointed to find that your lookup retrieves
a number of individual London locations, but not the top-level entity
"London (England)" itself.

This is because the current lookup is not left-anchored, but rather does a
keyword search over individual headings. In this case, simple alphabetical
order would seem to make the lookup task easier. Hint: as one astute user
discovered, if you do a lookup for "Londinium," you will in fact retrieve
"London (England)" as the only result, since "Londinium" has been provided
as a variant heading in the authority record for "London (England)" (and
apparently appears nowhere else in the Name Authority File).

Tim

--
Tim A. Thompson
Metadata Librarian (Spanish/Portuguese Specialty)