I think that Instance is equivalent to Manifestation, rather than Item in
the FRBR model.  The rationale being that HeldItem / HeldMaterial is Item.
Thus my mental mapping is:

bf:Work --> (frbr:Work / frbr:Expressions)
bf:Instance --> frbr:Manifestation
(bf:HeldItem / bf:HeldMaterial) --> frbr:Item

Now ... whether something can be both a physical object in the real world
AND a conceptual annotation at the same time ... well... that boggles my
mind quite a lot, but we should start a new thread if people want to also
discuss that :)

Rob

--
Rob Sanderson