> If it's also important to capture assigners for URIs, then you would
> need to still use a bf:Identifier with a reified URI...
>
>     URI Identifier Use Case 2: "I want to describe the origins,
>     provenance, etc. of a URI (in a similar way to other forms of
>     identifier)". This use case is not supported by simple owl:sameAs
>     suggestion. The problem is how to talk about URIs because in RDF
>     they aren't first class citizens, they are simply ways to talk about
>     resources. How can we associate the provenance properties that a
>     bf:Identifier has with a URI without generating bad semantics? I
>     think that a robust answer must use some kind of reification --- the
>     way out of the "the first rule of identifier club is that you can't
>     talk about identifiers" conundrum.
>

> ... but is that really in scope for BibFrame to try and capture? It's
> the _Bibliographic_ Framework, not a framework for describing the
> provenance of URIs, surely?

My sense from the discussion is that this is considered in scope.

> If it is, then use, certainly reification. And the easiest technique is
> to put it in a string, as you say:
>
>     But now, let's take a step back and look at the current bf spec with
>     bf:identifierValue [3]:
>     <http://example.org/persons/__kcoyle
>     <http://example.org/persons/kcoyle>> a bf:person ;
>        bf:identifier [
>          a bf:Identifier ;
>          bf:identifierAssigner "Simeon" ;
>          bf:identifierValue "http://example.com/people/kc"
>        ].
>
> Is fine ... you're asserting something about the provenance of a
> URI-as-identifier, not the resource that the URI identifies.  But it
> seems like a very deep rabbit hole...
>
> <http://linked-data.stanford.edu/titles/books/1234> a bf:Title ;
>    bf:value "Lord of the Rings" ;
>    bf:identifier [
>      a bf:Identifier ;
>      bf:assigner "Rob" ;
>      bf:identifierValue
> "http://linked-data.stanford.edu/titles/books/1234"  ] .
>
> Really? Really?! :)

Crazy as this looks I think this is what one needs if you want to talk
about the fact that "Rob" made the identifier
http://linked-data.stanford.edu/titles/books/1234 and then have this
clear and robust in a bunch of owl:sameAs. (I'll switch the example back
to Person to side-step the discussion of whether we are doing
identifiers for Titles, and to note Simon Spero's point we could type
the identifierValue as xsd:anyURI if we wanted to make that clear):

<http://ld.stanford.edu/person/1234> a bf:Title ;
    owl:sameAs <http://ld.cornell.edu/external_rob> ;
    owl:sameAs <http://ld.harvard.edu/robert_s> ;
    owl:sameAs <http://viaf.org/person/rob_sanderson> ;