On 07/26/2014 05:04 AM, J. McRee Elrod wrote:
> There are numerous titles for works which are not unique (unless
> combined with authorship  or other qualifier): "Works", "Complete
> works", "Selected works", "Introduction to ... <most any subject>".
> "History of ... <most any country>", etc.

This issue is several orders of magnitudes worse with ebooks.

The technical ability to reissue a book after correcting typo or other
minor error in response to feedback means that the same work by the same
author and publisher can have multiple editions per day during the
release period. This is effectively a rainbow of shades between
'uncorrected proof' and 'final edition'. I'm not aware of any
bibliographic approach that currently deals with it effectively.

Publishing systems typically identify versions using a cryptographic
hash function.

cheers
stuart