On 07/10/2014 01:52 PM, Karen Coyle wrote:

> I'm no expert in SPARQL, but I am going to presume that
>
>   http://www.example.com/books/book1
>      a http://bibframe.org/vocab/Book .
>
> Will result in more retrievals on queries for things of type
> http://bibframe.org/vocab/Book
>
> than
>
>      _:bnode1 a bf:Instance ;
>       bf:uri _:bnode2 .
>    _:bnode2 a bf:Identifier ;
>       bf:identifierValue "http://www.example.com/books/book1" .
>
> In other words, the further down you bury the key information (the URI
> for the thing) the less likely your data will be discovered and linked.

My understanding is that if there is OWL logic available to the query
engine that can be used to confirm these queries are the same, SPARQL
should always return the same results for the two queries.

There are, of course, questions of efficiency, but these are not
essentially different to the current issues many of us face with tuning
database queries for reports we run on our ILS's.

cheers
stuart