On 7/10/14, 11:30 AM, Ford, Kevin wrote:

> Dear Karen,
>
> The complexity arises if someone other than OCLC (?) asserts something
> about a VIAF URI.
>
> So, for example (and, please note, I've used a different URI, because,
> well, the one your provided is problematic for my purpose here), what
> if /I/ asserted:
>
> http://viaf.org/viaf/64055977/ skos:note "He smelled very badly, all
> the time."

And yet, OCLC does make statements about id.loc.gov "things" in the
WorldCat schema.org data:

<http://id.loc.gov/authorities/subjects/sh85082133>
         a            schema:Intangible ;
         schema:name  "Mathematical statistics."@en .

<http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/countries/cau>
         a                   schema:Place ;
         dcterms:identifier  "cau" .

<http://dewey.info/class/519/>
         a       schema:Intangible .

I don't think we can generally say that linked data creators do or
should avoid making statements using a subject not minted by them,
especially since any non-literal object can be the subject of another
statement. I may want to say:

<ex:book><dcterms:subject><http://dewey.info/class/519/>
<http://dewey.info/class/519/> skos:label "Statistics"@en

The use of dewey.info does not imply that the statement was issued by
the owners of dewey.info. That's why we need provenance for statements
and, as explained elsewhere in this thread, the URI does not provide that.

I looked for but could not find stats on subject usage in LOD, but there
is massive re-use of properties in the LOD space minted by third
parties, as noted in the Linked Open Vocabulary statistics. [1] BIBFRAME
has eschewed this, but that seems not to be a problem for others.

kc
[1] http://lov.okfn.org/dataset/lov/stats/

--
Karen Coyle