On 7/10/14, 11:30 AM, Ford, Kevin wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

Dear Karen,

The complexity arises if someone other than OCLC (?) asserts something about a VIAF URI.

So, for example (and, please note, I’ve used a different URI, because, well, the one your provided is problematic for my purpose here), what if /I/ asserted:

http://viaf.org/viaf/64055977/ skos:note “He smelled very badly, all the time.”

And yet, OCLC does make statements about id.loc.gov "things" in the WorldCat schema.org data:

<http://id.loc.gov/authorities/subjects/sh85082133>
        a            schema:Intangible ;
        schema:name  "Mathematical statistics."@en .

<http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/countries/cau>
        a                   schema:Place ;
        dcterms:identifier  "cau" .

<http://dewey.info/class/519/>
        a       schema:Intangible .

I don't think we can generally say that linked data creators do or should avoid making statements using a subject not minted by them, especially since any non-literal object can be the subject of another statement. I may want to say:

<ex:book><dcterms:subject><http://dewey.info/class/519/>
<http://dewey.info/class/519/> skos:label "Statistics"@en

The use of dewey.info does not imply that the statement was issued by the owners of dewey.info. That's why we need provenance for statements and, as explained elsewhere in this thread, the URI does not provide that.

I looked for but could not find stats on subject usage in LOD, but there is massive re-use of properties in the LOD space minted by third parties, as noted in the Linked Open Vocabulary statistics. [1] BIBFRAME has eschewed this, but that seems not to be a problem for others.

kc
[1] http://lov.okfn.org/dataset/lov/stats/

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

On the surface it looks like VIAF/OCLC said Raphael smelled badly, all the time because, provenance-wise, the domain tracks back to OCLC.  In reality, I said it, but you cannot tell.

If we use global URIs, and additional statements are made against those, then something like this could happen.

Yours,

Kevin