A counter-proposal [1] that excluded URIs, but looking at it 18 months
later I really wish there were a term other than identifier ...
something that has more the sense of "someone's code for something in
their supply chain that may or may not be meaningful to anyone else, but
we might need it for ordering a new copy or whatever." :-(

kc

[1] http://www.w3.org/community/schemabibex/wiki/Identifier-2

--
Karen Coyle