On 7/18/14, 3:34 PM, Robert Sanderson wrote:

> Or an HTTP space such as Jeff's suggested purl.org <http://purl.org>.
This may be a question for Jeff ... must PURLs re-direct to a non-PURL
URL? - If so, then in any case one will need a conformant non-PURL URL
for the identifiers.

Taking Ray's example “info:bibframe\publisherNumber\ 256A090” - that
could be expressed as "http://bibframe.org/publisherNumber/256A090". I
rather doubt that it makes sense to create a PURL for every identifier
value, although I like the idea that one could re-direct to a more
authoritative URL when the relevant agency actually instantiates a URL
form of the identifier scheme.

There's another issue, which is that the "identifiers" in the records
today aren't normalized. As Thomas Berger points out, already the LCNA
identifier has a different form when encoded in a URL:

MARC: $a n 96055058

I suspect that Ray's publisher number example has been normalized. Some
of the schemes are quite awkward in form, using varying punctuation:

*074* 	*##**$a*277-A-2 (MF)

  and sometimes being multi-part, such as:

*017* 	*##**$a*EU781596*$b*U.S. Copyright Office
*017* 	*##**$a*DL 80-0-1524*$b*Bibliothèque nationale du Québec
*017* 	*##**$a*PA1116341*$b*U.S. Copyright Office*$d*20020703

Some of us have the experience of developing search algorithms for these
identifiers, but search is considerably different from minting a URI -
to begin with, the usage of these in library systems does not require
them to be unique; occasionally two normalize to the same string.

What I think we are forgetting here is how we use these various codes
and numbers. Essentially they are searched and displayed. In the future
we may be using them for linking. This means that if they are
"converted" to URLs, they will still need human-readable labels, and
some thought must be given to how (if?) they can be made searchable.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net