A counter-proposal [1] that excluded URIs, but looking at it 18 months later I really wish there were a term other than identifier ... something that has more the sense of "someone's code for something in their supply chain that may or may not be meaningful to anyone else, but we might need it for ordering a new copy or whatever." :-(

kc

[1] http://www.w3.org/community/schemabibex/wiki/Identifier-2