Simon, I'm not a fan of re-interpreting OWL for a closed world, or of
dropping the non-unique name requirement. I know that people are doing
this (in particular, Clark-Parsia, the Pellet folks) but it strikes me
as dangerous to mess with such fundamental semantics. If nothing else,
already too many people have an entirely wrong view of OWL "constraints"
and see them as constraining the properties and values rather than
providing axioms for reasoning because they are used to closed world
thinking.

If we need a closed world ontology to use for validation, we should
create a closed world ontology. In particular, we should not assume that
RDF/OWL are sufficient for this purpose until we exam the use cases. I'm
not yet convinced that RDF/OWL will satisfy all of the requirements.

I think it's the old "hammer and nail" story -- people who work with OWL
and SPARQL are determined to do all of their work with OWL and SPARQL. I
hope that we can provide good enough use cases to test whether those
hammers work for us.

kc

--
Karen Coyle