Dear Rob, all,

Thanks for this.   We here had a quick chat about this list this morning.

One of the reasons for the predicate proliferation was to address query performance.

In our experience, when we’ve loaded gobs of triples into various stores, we often experienced much improved query performance when the predicate is itself fairly distinctive.  When querying for a value of a “common” predicate, then query performance declines.

For example, changing bf:identifierValue to bf:value jumps out in this case.    So this query:

SELECT ?s { ?s bf:value “1234567890” }

Will be considerably slower than

SELECT ?s { ?s bf:identifierValue “1234567890” }

Because the first query has to potentially interrogate so many more triples.

Of course, there are additional aspects one might use to limit the query, providing they are known, such as the identifier scheme, and not all stores are created equal, but sometimes this is the query one wants to run.  Even this may not be the best example because there may be only one triple in the system with that particular Literal, but imagine performing a query using bf:scheme, which will could easily have 10,000,000 hits for “isbn” alone, not to mention 14,000,000 for LCC and another 14,000,000 for DDC.

So, my question: do you, or anyone, have thoughts on this?

Yours,

Kevin