I think for our purposes transforming MARC, it might be best to assume that if you have only one date, you have only one Instance, and if you have 2 dates or two 260s, then you’re talking about two Instances.  Trying to divine more might be problematic.

I like Karen’s reliance on publisher statement to keep what’s on the piece, but adding the individual places and publishers just as individual points of data associated with the Instance.

Going forward, if there are 2 publishers and one date on the piece being cataloged, I guess it would be up to cataloging policy whether they want to treat them as 2 instances; BIBFRAME will allow you to record what youthink is going on.

Nate

Nate Trail

LS/TECH/NDMSO

LA308, Mail Stop 4402