Hi Ray,

You can associate information with an ISBN as a URN, because it can be the
subject of a triple, unlike a literal.  It's always a unique "thing", as
opposed to a literal which is just a sequence of characters.  The other
this, so I won't repeat them :)

To demonstrate the differences:

* Most simple, least functional:

_:x a bf:Instance ;
  bf:isbn10 "0738609080" .

(There's a string and you can infer that it's an ISBN due to the predicate,
but can't do anything useful with it)

* Current example, with very unclear semantics (
http://bibframe.org/vocab/isbn10.html)

_:x a bf:Instance ;
  bf:isbn10 <http://isbn.example.org/0738609080> .

(where this resource is thus a bf:Identifier with no properties, and thus
very strange)

* Revised example, using bf:Identifier

_:x a bf:Instance ;
  bf:isbn10 [ a bf:Identifier ;
    bf:identifierValue "0738609080" ;
    bf:identifierScheme "isbn10" ]

(where this resource can't be referenced outside of the local context, as a
blank node)
This is hard to find instances of, as you need to do:

?x a bf:Instance . ?x bf:isbn10 ?y . ?y bf:identifierValue "..." . ?y
bf:identifierScheme "isbn10" .
Compare to the queries below...

* Potential model, where the ISBN identifies something very similar but not
exactly the Instance:

_:x a bf:Instance ;
  bf:similarTo <http://isbn.example.org/0738609080> .

?x a bf:Instance . ?x bf:similarTo <uri> .

* Rob's preferred model, if the ISBN actually identifies the Instance:

<http://isbn.example.org/0738609080> a bf:Instance .

No need to do SPARQL as you already have the identifier of the resource :)

HTH,

Rob

--
Rob Sanderson