Some purls might not resolve to URLS any more; however they can still
denote.
http://purl.org/docs/help.html#purladvcreate

LCCNs have a specified normal form - see
http://www.loc.gov/marc/lccn-namespace.html

purl.org URLs, like handles,  can generate responses based on prefix
matches,  so http://purl.org/bibframe/... might only require a singe entry.

It is an open question as to how far generic URLs name,  but can usually be
ignored by fixing the meaning to be the referent at a specified time in the
actual world.

There are also URI schemes that are approximately rigid- the unofficial
magnet URI scheme, and the proposed standard in
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6920

Simon