Hear! Hear! I could not agree more. I hate to simply say "Yes, I agree", as that can be terribly annoying on mailing lists if we all do it, but I thought this message deserved any amplification I could bring to it. We all need to take this on board and consider its implications. Otherwise we won't end up anywhere very different than where we are now.
Roy

From: Karen Coyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Friday, July 25, 2014 at 7/25/14 � 10:09 AM
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [BIBFRAME] bf:Title Was: [BIBFRAME] BibFrame and Linked Data: Identifiers

Straight translations from MARC to [anything else] don't make sense unless you analyze not just the MARC coding but the intention and meaning behind the data element. (I covered this is in a code4lib journal article, to some extent.[1]) That some bit of data was broken up in a certain way in MARC is not necessarily meaningful in other situations. Title is a good example, and Thomale shows how hard it is to make sense based on MARC subfields.[2] One other example is personal author: the x00 field has a dozen or more subfields to encoding personal author data. In other MARC fields, all of that information is placed in a single subfield (because of the limit of 26 data subfields per tag).

100 $aHamilton, Milton W. $q(Milton Wheaton), $d1901-
773 $aHamilton, Milton W. (Milton Wheaton), 1901-

Yet one of the biggest problems in translating MARC to [anything else] is that because the data has only been expressed as text strings, no consistency checking has been done on the content. That 245 $p could have anything at all in it, including Aunt Martha's apple pie recipe.

Developing a future format based on this data is a formula for failure, I'm afraid. Yes, we will need to translate our old data to some new form, but that is not the same as developing a new format intended to mimic the data of old one.

kc

[1] http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/5468 "MARC21 as Data: A Start"
[2] http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/3832 "Interpreting MARC: Where's the Bibliographic Data?"